Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Facebooking is a community, and I admit it- I am one of THEM. My initial foray into Facebooking came at the behest of my much-younger colleagues. With much encouragement and a few key strokes, I was in. Upon entering this new realm I was amazed at how many of my family and friends were already insiders. As they rolled out the welcome mat, I adapted to this networking cyber-life and my circle of 'friends' quickly grew. I reunited with close to 100 former high school classmates (some of whom are grandparents now- YIKES!), and many current and former co-workers; I am now more in touch with my teen aged and adult nieces and nephews than I ever could have been with my cell phone. I've reconnected with friends who have moved to all parts of the country. I found a bridesmaid from my wedding (31 years later).

Our FB community is inextricably bound by our desire to stay 'connected,' no matter how superficial the link may be. Like a family, we laugh together, cry together, debate with one another, irritate one another, support and encourage each other. We play games, join clubs, support mutual causes, reminisce, and dream. We plan get togethers. We celebrate birthdays. We share photos and laugh at the silly ones. We celebrate our childrens' milestones- and our own.

There are some 'friends' who are and will remain distinctly separated from others. While my FB community is broad, not all friends share the same needs, interests, or values, which can cause a bit of friction at times. For example, some of my FB friends have very religious, conservative, right wing views; while others embrace more liberal perspectives. This country's current economic woes and proposed health care reform have brought forth some rabid debates and political ranting between FB friends where I was their only link. I have FB friends who are gay, and some who are vehemently anti-gay. There are times when intolerance challenges our community. I have one friend- a co-worker- whose FB postings look like something out of a Tourette's essay contest. I've been 'unfriended' by people who have been offended by his coarse language when they've read postings on my page.

I fit in with this group because I appreciate each friend for his/her uniqueness. I don't always have to agree with them, but I feel that my life is better because these people are a part of it. I am a crayon in the box of Facebook colors. If I were to step out of the cyber world and limit myself to just a few friends/crayons, my life would not be the broad spectrum of technicolor that it is with my Facebook community.

No comments:

Post a Comment